Jenks' History - An Ohio Family Background

John W. Jenks (1858 - 1945) m. 1/15/1882 Mary Lee Failes (1864 - unknown)

parents of:

George William Jenks, Jr. (1896 - 1938) m. Leona Mae Cooper (1898 - 1973)

parents of:

George William Jenks, Jr. (1937 - 1987) m. Mildred Lorraine Cleveland (1943 - )

George William Jenks, Sr. (August 7, 1896 to November 1, 1938) - George William was born the sixth child of John W. and Mary Failes. He is listed on the 1900 census in their household as age 3. I don't have much in the way of stories. He passed away when my father, George William, was little more than a baby.

He registered for the WWI draft on June 14, 1918, at the age of 21 in Jefferson, Ohio.  He was listed as having red hair and blue eyes.  To my knowledge he was never in the service.

He married Leona Mae Cooper of Ashtabula, Ohio, in 1924, and was listed on the 1930 census as working as a salesman at the gas company. I have pictures of their honeymoon in Niagra Falls and at Mount Rushmore monument in South Dakota. He is buried in Saybrook Cemetery in Saybrook, Ohio, next to his wife and son.

Leona Mae Cooper (October 7, 1898 to July 1973) The second child of George William Cooper and May Belle Frisbie, Leona and her brother Earl were born and raised in Ashtabula, Ohio. My grandmother was a remarkable woman. She and her husband, George, tried for over 10 years to have a child. I was told, when I was very, very young, that my father was the seventh child and the only one who lived.

When her husband passed away shortly after my father's birth, she purchased the house on Prospect on December 1, 1938, and turned it into a boarding house to support her and her son. She also worked full-time as a bookkeeper at Carlysle's, a local department store. She never remarried after her husband's death.

After me and my brother, David, were born, Grandma moved to Akron to be closer to us. She was always with us, teaching us games like bridge and pinnacle and telling us endless stories of her childhood. She would regale us with how her father, George Cooper, would hook up the horse and carriage on Sunday mornings and pack the whole family off to church for the day. She was a warm and loving person and I thought the world of her. She died peacefully in her sleep, in her own bed, of heart failure.